Albion Monitor /News
[Editor's note: For background on this story, see our previous article about charges against the Oklahoma "Prophet of Yahweh" who allegedly planned to blow up women's clinics, the Anti-Defamation League, the Southern Poverty Law Center, welfare offices, and gay clubs.

It was thought at the time that Lampley was turned in to authorities by members of the militia seeking to distance themselves from his extremism. During August, Lampley allegedly tried to recruit support for multiple bombings, according to court documents.

The Albion Monitor has since learned that Lampley made an uninvited appearance at a militia meeting just weeks before his arrest. At an October National Militia Commander's Seminar held in Texas, Lampley was denounced by speakers and ordered to leave, according to messages that have appeared on the Internet. After his arrest, members of the press were approached by individuals identifying themselves as part of the midwestern Tri-State Militia, offering copies of correspondence allegedly between Lampley and the group. These documents reportedly demonstrate that Lampley had no affiliation with any "official" militia organization.]

Trial of Bomb Conspiracy "Prophet" Delayed

by Bill Johnson

(AR) OKLAHOMA CITY -- A typographical error on a federal indictment has forced a postponement in the trial of a self-styled prophet and his wife on charges they conspired to bomb civil rights organizations and gay bars.

Another legal error forced the release of a man on a related charge. But Oklahoma's lieutenant governor has filed a new warrant for the man, who allegedly threatened to bomb the Muskogee County Jail in eastern Oklahoma if the preacher or the others were mistreated.

Trial had been scheduled to begin last Monday for Willie "Ray" Lampley, 65; his wife, Cecilia, 50, and John D. Baird, 54. The three were indicted on November 15. A superseding indictment was issued January 9 by a new federal grand jury.

Lampley has claimed to be head of a so-called militia organization. He said in an interview after his arrest he wanted to stockpile bombs and other weapons to fight a foreign invasion he predicted would occur in December.

Federal authorities said Lampley had planned to test a bomb by trying to blow up a large rock at Elohim City, a white supremacist compound on the Arkansas border. He was arrested before that plan could be carried out.

Prosecutors told U.S. District Judge Frank Seay there was a typo in the second indictment section dealing with a firearms charge against Lampley. Seay granted the government's request to throw out the January indictment and for the trio to be reindicted by a federal grand jury that convenes in Muskogee February 20.

In the meantime, the original indictment remains in effect.

Threats to "dispense militia units" if any members were mistreated in jail

The indictment against the Lampleys and Baird accused them of plotting to build fertilizer bombs and to use them against abortion clinics, gay bars, welfare offices and the offices of the Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center.

All three were arrested at the Lampley home in Vernon, some 70 miles south of Tulsa. Federal agents said they recovered material to make a bomb at the house.

Lampley also was indicted on a charge possessing a firearm in commission of a violent crime and solicitation to commit a violent crime.

Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin, meanwhile, signed a governor's warrant for the rearrest of an Arkansas militia leader charged with threatening Muskogee County officials. She acted in the place of Gov. Frank Keating, who was on an economic development trip to Israel.

Authorities allege Stewart D. Waterhouse, 38, wrote a letter December 14 threatening to "immediately retaliate against" the Muskogee County Jail if one of militia members was mistreated.

Waterhouse was arrested last month at his father's home in Hawaii. He was released in early January after his lawyer informed the federal court he had been arrested before a warrant was issued.

"Prosecutors in Muskogee feel this man needs to come to Oklahoma to face these very serious charges, and we strongly agree," Fallin said. "We hope he is recaptured and Waterhouse is returned to Oklahoma very soon to face the charges. We can't tolerate these kinds of threats."

Waterhouse is charged with sending threatening letters to the superintendent of the Muskogee County Jail, Lloyd Bickel.

Court documents allege that two of the letters threatened to "dispense militia units" against Bickel if any militia members were mistreated. The letters named the Lampleys and Baird, authorities said.

Honolulu Circuit Court Judge Victoria Marks, in releasing Waterhouse, said there was nothing to prevent federal authorities from arresting him again if proper procedures were followed.

"Quite frankly, I think the state will correct the procedural problems and arrest you again," Marks told Waterhouse.

Fraud following Oklahoma City blast

In Oklahoma City federal court, meanwhile, a Texas man who was charged with defrauding several businesses after the April 19 terrorist bombing of the federal building was given a two-year prison term.

Before being sentenced on five counts, Brian Rhett Martin, 20, of Katy, Texas, apologized for the scam.

"I'd like to apologize to the people or Oklahoma," Martin said. "My behavior was inconsiderate and my actions inexcusable."

U.S. District Judge Vicki Miles-LaGrange also ordered Martin to pay $1,303 in partial restitution to the business, ordered that he be on probation for three years after his release and directed that he perform 104 hours of community service.

She also ruled that Martin does not have the financial ability to pay a fine.

Martin and Andrew Mark Tarczon, 22, of Arlington, Texas, had pleaded guilty to charges of passing themselves off as Department of Defense bomb disposal experts who needed computers, radios and a free helicopter ride over the bombing site for their work.

They were accused of obtaining $16,000 worth of free hotel rooms and electronic equipment after the bombing, which took 169 lives.

Tarczon has contended he was duped into participating in the scheme. He is to be sentenced next month.

Martin was sentenced on five counts involving conspiracy, interstate transportation of stolen property and impersonation of a federal officer. He apologized to his family and the Army for impersonating an officer.

Miles-LaGrange told Martin his conduct was "very serious," especially considering the circumstances surrounding the scheme.

"You are a young man, and certainly young enough to turn your life around," Miles-LaGrange said to Martin.

"Thank you, your honor," Martin replied.

Bill Johnson writes for The American Reporter.

Albion Monitor January 31, 1996 (

All Rights Reserved.

Contact for permission to reproduce.

Front Page